Applicant can link student(s) and/or spouse/parent(s) tax information to the FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. This is required when initially filing their FAFSA or when a student gets selected for verification.
- Go to www.FAFSA.gov
- Click "Login" and fill out information
- Click "Make FAFSA Corrections"
- Fill out information and click "next"
- Select the "Financial Information" tab
- Answer "Already Completed" to the "For __, have you completed your IRS income tax return or another tax return?"
- Answer "None of the above" to the "You may be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to view and transfer your tax information from the IRS."
- Click on Create FSA ID
- Create a FSA ID for the person for whom the tax information is being transferred (if parent tax information create a parent FSA ID, if student tax information create a student FSA ID)
- Click "Link to IRS"
- Click "OK" to leave FAFSA and go to IRS website
- Click "OK" to verify you are an authorized user
- Select answer to "Filing Status" as was listed on tax return
- Enter address exactly as it appears on tax return
- Click on "Submit"
- Click on box below "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA"
- Click on "Transfer Now"
- Click "Next"
- Go to "Sign/Submit" tab on top of page
Sign application with FSA ID
(if both parent and student signatures are requested, an FSA ID must be created and submitted for both)
Note: If you have created an FSA ID for yourself or a parent (if applicable) within the last 3 days, you will need to login using the option that indicates “Enter the student’s information” on the fafsa.ed.gov website in order to make any type of correction or to use the IRS link.