Exemptions are a type of financial assistance allowing some Texas residents to attend a public college or university in Texas without paying tuition or, in some cases, tuition and fees. Students will be required to verify their eligibility for these exemptions. All exemptions processed by the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) will be applied to tuition on the payment deadline. Senate Bill 1210 (83rd Texas Legislature, Regular Session) adds a Grade Point Average requirement for persons to receive continuation awards through the exemption program. The requirement at UTEP is a 2.0 GPA for undergraduate students, and a 3.0 GPA for graduate students. The Bill also establishes a Limit to the Total Number of Hours, cumulative, that a student may take and continue to receive awards through this program. The limit is 130 hours for undergraduate students, and not more than 150% of degree requirements for graduate students. These changes go into effect in fall, 2014. The following is a list of exemptions processed by OSFA. Please note all exemptions must be verified semester by semester unless otherwise noted.
• Blind/Deaf Exemption: verification of eligibility processed by the Center for Accommodations and Support Services (CASS)
• Employee Educational Aid Program: verification of eligibility is performed by submitting the "Request for Waiver of Required Fees" form to Human Resources
• Active Duty Firefighter Legacy: verification of eligibility is performed by submitting the "Active Duty Fireman" form to OSFA
• Foster Child Care Exemption: verification of eligibility is performed by a one-time submission of a letter from the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services indicating a student is eligible for exemption to the OSFA
• Child of Police/Fireman Exemption: verification of eligibility is performed by submitting the "Peace Officer Exemption Program" form to OSFA
• Active Duty Policeman Exemption: verification of eligibility is performed by submitting the "Peace Officer Exemption Program" form to OSFA
For a complete listing of all exemptions (including those not processed by OSFA) please visit the following page; Exemptions.